Loans, scholarships & co.

Alternative ways to finance your studies

Many students finance their education with a student job. If you receive BAföG funding, you may earn an additional 450 Euros with your part-time employment without this being deducted from your BAföG funding. Our student job placement service helps you find the right employment. Or just take a look at our job portal.

If you wish to study but you do not receive BAföG funding or any additional income from a part-time job, there are further options to finance your academic training. Visit us for advice! We offer general information about alternative ways to finance your studies and can give you the addresses of specific contact points that provide detailed information.



Only the best students receive a scholarship? That is not true!
Students who do volunteer work as well as others can be eligible for scholarships, too.

Please find more information on the websites of the Deutsches Studentenwerk and the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research. There you can find numerous detailed explanations and references about scholarships as well as a list of different funding associations (Förderungswerke) and foundations.



Are you in an advanced phase of your education or are you completing postgraduate courses, postgraduate studies or complementary studies? Then you can apply for the low-interest education loan of the Federal Office of Administration.

This loan is granted for a limited period of time (for a maximum of 24 months) and up to a limited amount (a maximum of 300 Euros per month) to finance an exceptional expense or to help facilitate the education.

The loan is granted regardless of the assets and income of the students and their parents. A security for granting the loan is not required. Granting also does not depend on whether you receive BAföG funding or personally meet all the requirements that entitle you to BAföG. However, it is necessary that domestic or foreign studies are concerned which are eligible for funding under the German Federal Education and Training Assistance Act. A distinction has to be made between the education loan and the following KfW student loan.

First- or second-degree students can apply for the KfW student loan. Between 100 and 650 Euros per month for a period of up to 14 semesters can be granted by the bank institute KfW as an interest-bearing loan. The Studentenwerk Potsdam itself does not distribute the KfW student loan. You can find a distributer close by and there is more information on the online portal of the KfW bank.



Hardship loans
If you are a student and involuntarily find yourself in a difficult financial situation, you can apply for a hardship loan of up to 500 Euros. The need has to be proven in each individual case.

Special circumstances that can justify the granting of a hardship loan may be temporary default of BAföG payments without the applicants fault or unplanned expenses due to a disease.

Graduate loans
In order to finance your studies as first-degree student at a state

university, you can apply for a loan of up to 6.000 Euros for a maximum period of 12 months. The graduate loan is intended for students who can successfully complete their studies within two semesters at the most. There is no legal right to the granting of this loan. The amount of the loan is to be secured, i.e. regularly by a directly enforceable guarantee as it is usual in banking transactions. Granting a loan is excluded if the necessary study expenses can be covered by programs of other institutions (education loan, etc.).

For many students the child benefit is an important financial aid during their studies. The entitlement to child benefit depends on the type of education and on the age of the person eligible. You may receive child benefit at least until you reach the age of 18. As long as you are in school, undergo vocational training or study, the entitlement to child benefit continues to exist up to the age of 25. Under certain conditions it may even be possible to receive child benefit after passing this age limit.

Please read this explanatory leaflet for more information.

Important: Usually the child benefit is paid to the parents to alleviate the burden of maintenance. Your parents have to apply for child benefit at the competent family benefits office. Child benefit and spare-time employment can be combined very well during your initial education. If you have already completed a vocational training or a first-degree course of studies, the entitlement to child benefit only continues, if the performed activity is deemed “harmless”. This is the case, if the regular weekly working hours do not exceed a total of 20 hours or if it is a minor employment.

You cannot receive housing benefit if you are entitled to BAföG. This also applies if you are eligible under the German Federal Education and Training Assistance Act but do not receive BAföG because your parents’ income is too high. This shall not apply if the entitlement to training assistance does not exist (any more). Among others, this could be the case if BAföG funding was denied due to missing positive proofs of performance or after the maximum funding period or due to an

unjustified change of the study path. Housing benefit may also be paid if the BAföG funding is granted after a late change of the study path or in the context of a graduate loan as an interest-bearing bank loan. It can then be worthwhile to visit the housing benefit office.

We recommend a personal appointment with our social counselling service for detailed advice on the housing benefit.


General BAföG-Consultation
room: 4.27
Babelsberger Straße 2
Mitarbeiterporträt von Karolin Kozur
Karolin Kozur
Social counsellor
room: 4.19
+49 331 3706-254
Babelsberger Straße 2