The Studentenwerk Potsdam expresses its full solidarity with the people in Ukraine.
Our thoughts are with the people in Ukraine, whose life changed from one day to the next. With all our strength we support students from Ukraine as well as all students who suffer hardship because of this war. Our actions are based on lived solidarity, without much bureaucracy: financial support, a place to stay and also psychological counseling - we will find ways to help and are there for the students in this difficult time! (Peter Heiß, Managing Director Studentenwerk Potsdam)
Concrete support is currently being provided and organized in dialogue with the universities and the Ministry of Science, Research and Culture. Students who are currently in need of help are welcome to contact the staff of the Studentenwerk Potsdam. General inquiries can be directed to the e-mail address ukraine[at]studentenwerk-potsdam.de.
Counseling Services and Financial Aid:
The Counseling and Social Services division of the Studentenwerk can provide support with
- psychosocial counseling
- advise and help with financial difficulties for students suffering hardship as a result of the war (e.g. one-time assistance up to 300 € or meal vouchers for the canteen). Financial aid is intended for enrolled students within the area of responsibility of the Studentenwerk Potsdam (Potsdam, Brandenburg an der Havel, and Wildau). If you have any questions about applying for financial aid, please contact the Social Counseling Service.
- as well as answer basic questions about residence permits and job search.
- Affected students who have questions about extending their time in the residence hall or have problems paying their rent should contact the Housing staff.
- Would you like to have someone stay with you temporarily? There is the possibility of an official sublet. Please contact us.
- Students who are looking for contact in the dormitory can contact our resident tutors.
- Since June 1, 2022, BAföG has also been open to students who have fled from Ukraine: People with a right of residence under Section 24 of the Aufenthaltsgesetz (Residence Act) will be entitled to state funding for studies or school-based training under the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) - provided that the other BAföG requirements are also met.
- From 23.03.2022 until 25.05.2022: Refugees from Ukraine (not only students) were offered free meals in Potsdam's Studentenwerk canteens. In total 10.887 lunch packages and 19.395 meals were distributed.
- Currently the Studentenwerk Potsdam has no dedicated offers.
Contact to the International Offices of the universities
Technische Hochschule Brandenburg
Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF
Technische Hochschule Wildau
FAQ "Studying in Brandenburg" of the Ministry of the Ministry of Science, Research and Culture in German and Ukrainian
Information page of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) for refugees from Ukraine in German, Ukrainian and English
Information page of the DAAD (National Academic Contact Point Ukraine) for students and researchers in German, Ukrainian and English
Statement of the universities, non-university research institutions, Studentenwerke and the Ministry of Science, Research and Culture of the State of Brandenburg
Press release of the German Student Union (DSW) on a support program for Ukrainian students in Germany