Studying with children?

We tell you how this can work!

Planned or unplanned: Studying while being pregnant or with a child is particularly challenging! Many things seem a little upside down and time management is crucial. But we want to encourage you to embark on the wonderful adventure of starting a family at an early stage. Today, you can get a lot of financial aid and support. You just need to know where to get it!

We will gladly answer your questions concerning pregnancy or studying with a child personally. Because if you know exactly what maternity benefit, parental benefit or child benefit means, you can make use of the wide range of possible state aids at an early stage and then turn your full attentions to your baby.

We advise you on the following benefits and explain to you, which of them you could receive or when to apply for which benefit.

  • Child benefit of the Studentenwerk Potsdam for children of students
  • Maternity benefit
  • Child benefit
  • Children’s allowance
  • Parental benefit
  • Childcare

The social counselling service of the Studentenwerk Potsdam gives a one-off payment for children of students of 200 euros, provided that at the time of birth, at least one parent is enrolled at one of the universities in our area of responsibility and the child was born after 01.09.2016. (Parents whose children were born before this date receive a one-off payment of 100 euros).

Just send an informal application to our social counselling service via e-mail or by post.

Or submit the application in person during the office hours. Please provide the following documents with your informal application:

  • a copy of the birth certificate of the child
  • certificate of study of the semester in which your child was born
  • bank details (in case we transfer the money; you can also pick up the money in cash at the cash register during our office hours).

Do you work part-time or do you have a minor employment while studying? Then you can apply for maternity benefit. Because this is a state benefit that replaces your income during the period of statutory maternity leave (6 weeks before, 8 weeks after the birth). It doesn’t matter whether you have a private or a statutory health insurance.

The amount is calculated on the basis of your average net earnings of the last three months. You need to submit a statement of earnings issued by the employer to your health insurance. The benefit amounts to a maximum of 13 euros per day. If your daily net salary exceeds this amount, your employer shall pay the difference to equal your average net income of the last three months. However, this only applies if the employment relationship persists.

You usually have no right to maternity benefit if you are self-employed (e.g. on the basis of fees or service contracts). An exception is only made if you have a voluntary statutory health insurance and are entitled to sickness benefit.

You have to submit your application to your health insurance company together with a certificate stating the expected date of birth issued by your gynaecologist. 

Related links:

Mothers and fathers can apply for parental benefit after the birth of their child. It is paid to employed (and also self-employed and unemployed) parents as well as to students and parents in training.

Note: You do not have to interrupt your studies while receiving parental benefits. Moreover, the minimum amount of 300 euros does not reduce the BAföG funding.

For how long can you receive parental benefits?
You can receive this benefit during the first 14 months of your child's life. You and your partner can freely divide this time ("Partner months"). One parent alone can apply for a maximum of twelve months.

Note: If you receive parental benefit during the first months of your child’s life, this will be taken into account in relation to your maternity benefit. Your parental benefit will be reduced accordingly. If, however, the father takes parental leave during the first two months of the child’s life, then you receive parental benefit for the father and maternity benefit for the mother.

How much is the parental benefit? How is it calculated?
It amounts to at least 300 and a maximum of 1.800 euros. It generally replaces 67 % of the last net income and is available to the person that

interrupts or reduces his or her professional activity to take care of the child. If you have no net income, you receive the minimum rate of 300 euros.

Where do you have to apply for the parental benefit?
You have to apply in writing to the parental benefits office (processing time is approx. four weeks). To avoid financial gaps, you should apply for it quite quickly, especially because retrospective payments are only made for the last three months before the beginning of the month in which your application was received.

International students
Are you a foreign student and do you have a residence permit only for the purpose of studying (Section 16 of the German Residence Act)? Then you are not eligible to parental benefit or other family benefits (such as advances on maintenance payments, child benefit).

Further Information

This is a financial support (Section 6a of the German Child Benefit Act) for families with children who have a low income. It has priority over the payment of the unemployment benefit type II (ALG II or Hartz IV). In connection with the child benefit and the housing benefit, this aims to prevent that parents have to apply for ALG II or social benefit.

Under which conditions can students with children receive the child allowance?

Parents that live in the same household as their unmarried children under the age of 25 are entitled to the child allowance. They do have enough income to cover their own subsistence level, but cannot guarantee the subsistence level of their children. 

How much is the child allowance and where do you have to apply?
It is calculated according to the income and assets of the parents and the children and amounts to a maximum of 140 euros per month for each unmarried child under the age of 25. You can apply for it only at the Family Benefits Offices of the Federal Employment Agency.

Note: For single parents the payment of the child allowance can, among other things, lead to a lower income compared to ALG II. Therefore please check this in advance. Our social counselling service will gladly assist you during a personal meeting.

Nursery "klEinstein" (Potsdam)

The nursery “klEinstein” of the Studentenwerk Potsdam is located on the ground floor of the student residential hall in Kaiser-Friedrich-Straße 135, 14469 Potsdam. Here 110 children at the age of 3 months to the mandatory school age are taken care of. Their parents either study or work at one of the three universities in Potsdam or they work at the Studentenwerk Potsdam.

The nursery "klEinstein" is managed under the organising institution of "Die Kinderwelt gGmbH".
Manager: Christin Neugebauer
Kaiser-Friedrich-Straße 135
14469 Potsdam

Telephone: +49 (0)331 5054542

Nursery "Die wilde 19" (Wildau)

The daycare center "Die wilde 19" is located in the middle of the campus of the TH Wildau (house 19). As a company-related daycare center, the nursery is primarily aimed at students and employees of the Wildau University of Applied Sciences. In order to support the compatibility of studies and family, opening and closing times are oriented to the university operations on the campus of the TH Wildau. A total of 28 children from the age of two months until school enrollment can be cared for in the new rooms.

The nursery "Die wilde 19" is managed under the organising institution of "Die Kinderwelt gGmbH".
Manager: Andrea Scharfe
Hochschulring 1, House 19
15475 Wildau

Telephone: +49 (0)3375 508705

Registration for a childcare place
Die Kinderwelt gGmbH
Marlene-Dietrich-Allee 15
14482 Potsdam

Telephone: +49 (0)331 70476-103
Email: kontakt[at]


At the locations of the universities and in our residential halls there is also the possibility of letting childminders take care of your little ones. For Potsdam and Wildau "Die Kinderwelt gGmbH" coordinates the available places.

This type of care is offered at the following locations:


  • Kaiser-Friedrich-Straße 142
  • Campus Golm, residential hall "Zum Mühlenteich"
  • Stahnsdorfer Straße 148 b

Brandenburg an der Havel

  • Campus of the Brandenburg University of Applied Sciences, residential hall Zanderstraße

Registration for a childcare place in Potsdam and Wildau

Die Kinderwelt gGmbH
Marlene-Dietrich-Allee 15
14482 Potsdam

Telephone: +49 (0)331 70476103
Email: kontakt[at] 


Registration for a childcare place in Brandenburg an der Havel

City administration
Subject area child day care
Mrs Sigrid Hanf
Email: sigrid.hanf[at]
Telephone: +49 (0)3381 585164

It is a unique institution in the state of Brandenburg and the link between individual care and standard care in nurseries or day care facilities and thus closes an important gap. For the first time, ongoing short-term care in a familiar environment is possible for a couple of days, weeks or months.

Die Kinderwelt gGmbH
Breite Straße 21 (residential hall)
Manager: Mrs Günther
14467 Potsdam

Telephone: +49 (0)331 870968-80
Email: kuki[at]

Opening hours
Monday-Friday: 7.45 a.m.-8.00 p.m.
Saturday: 7.45 a.m.-4.00 p.m.

Please find further information on the website of our institution Die Kinderwelt gGmbH.


Mitarbeiterporträt von Karolin Kozur
Karolin Kozur
Social counsellor
room: 4.19
+49 331 3706-254
Babelsberger Straße 2
Katrin Steffen
Social counsellor
room: 4.21
+49 331 3706-251
Babelsberger Straße 2